Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 2: Checking Out the Vernal Pools


Emily and I had a great afternoon hike in Wildcat Conservation Area by our house.  We were scouting out vernal pools in anticipation of the spotted salamander migration in a couple of weeks.  It was Emily's idea to record our observations in a journal on our weekly trips to the vernal pools.  This year we plan to hatch spotted salamander eggs at home in an aquarium and raise the larvae up to full grown salamanders.  We will be posting some (hopefully) cool macro photos over the next few months of all the stages.

6 comments:

  1. Emily is a little lost in the picture. Even though the area is beautiful you are missing emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reflections of the trees and waters! Reminds of the cypress tress down in Congaree Nat. Park, SC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the reflection of the vegetation, wish Emily was more in the picture, she's a bit hard to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this shot - the lines and shapes of all the trees are so interesting, and then there's the blue in the water & Emily's coat & the sky that for me adds warmth and cozyness to the otherwise winter scene that usually makes me want to grab a blanket and hot cocoa! When I clicked on the picture and saw it enlarged it made a much greater impact on me than when I first looked at it. Would love to see a copy in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Emily looks very studious - smart, like her father. I didn't know that also included photography smarts. And don't forget - Mary's a good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Murkel, I like how you had to include Mary so she wouldn't get all hissy. Thanks for following the blog. Oh, by the way, I did ok with Emily over the weekend w/o Mary. She survived and got a couple of meals in before Mary got home.

    ReplyDelete